May 2013

Notes from the Superintendent……………………………..Jason Kersten

Dear Patrons;

Where has the year gone? This will be the last newsletter for the 2012-2013 school year. I would like to thank each of you for the opportunity to work with your children and for your support this past year.

The month of March brought two different snow storms causing school to not be in session. These days were March 4th and March 18th. The district has five hours of early outs or late starts. This time and days missed have to be made up. March 4th was made up on April 1st. This leaves the district with one day to make up (March 18) and five hours of early outs or late starts. Our calendar does have a built in grace day because of the length of our school day. I have submitted an application to the state to forgive the day missed on March 18th. If the state approves my application, March 18th would be forgiven and I will use the grace day for the five hours of early outs and late starts. If the state does not approve my application, the district will use the grace day for March 18th. This leaves five hours of late starts and early outs to address. State Statute requires this time must be made up. To make this time up, the district will add a minimum of 30 minutes to the school day until this is completed. It will take the district 10 days to make up this time at 30 minutes per day. The start time for school will be 8:35 AM and school will be dismissed at 3:40 PM. Applications for forgiveness are due no later than May 1st. Once notified I will let everyone know through the paper and Instant Alert. My hope is the state will forgive March 18th and no time will need to be added to our day.

I would like to thank everyone for all the support you have given me and the school this past year. Have a safe and enjoyable summer!!