Notes from the Superintendent

Dear Patrons,

I hope this letter finds everyone enjoying the weather. The temperature for the most part has been very nice. Hopefully, this trend will continue throughout April and May.

The school district will be having one last early out on Thursday, April 2nd. The school district is offering a half day professional development for our teachers. Central School students will be dismissed at 12:30 PM. The buses will leave Middle School at 12:45 PM for their routes.

There will be no school on Friday, April 3 (Good Friday) and Monday, April 6th. April 6th is a storm makeup day.

On Tuesday, March 24th the School District went to a “soft lockdown”. I would like to first explain what I consider a “soft lockdown”. A “soft lockdown” takes place when there is not an immediate danger to the students or staff. In this type of lockdown, all the students are to stay in their respective school buildings and all the outside doors are locked. At our 3-12 building the students are able to move around the building from class to class. The Building Trades and Alternative School students are required to come to the 3-12 building for class. All elementary recesses are held inside. Students are not allowed to leave campus to attend their college courses or leave for lunch. At Central School, all students are in the main building. Teachers from our modular classrooms have their class within the main building. The students are able to move from room to room, but are not allowed outside. All these steps are taken for precautionary reasons for both students and staff. I have been asked “Why was our alert system not used to contact the parents?” it is a valid question to ask. The decision not to contact parents was because of the information I had received. I felt the contacting of parents might have caused more confusion and possible panic. I believed the students were safe and did not want to create an environment of chaos. Each situation can be and is different and therefore handled individually.

As a district we will evaluate and review each situation and make necessary changes on how things are carried out in the future. I hope this helps answer any questions you may have regarding our recent incident. As always, I would like to thank everyone for your questions, concerns, and support.

From my family to yours, have a safe and enjoyable Easter!